The Ultimate Webinar Set Up: Get the Right Webinar Equipment on Any Budget
At GoToWebinar, our cheeky goal is to turn the many marketing and customer success webinars we do into the world’s best webinar program. To that end, we’ve done some serious testing to find the webinar equipment that works best for us, and the result is (tadaa): The Webinar Wagon!
I know what you’re thinking: “This thing is way cooler than the DeLorean from Back to the Future.” Oh, that wasn’t what you were thinking? Oh well, never mind. Still, we think it’s pretty cool. Here are a few of the webinar wagon’s major benefits:
- It has wheels. Pretty nifty. This means you don’t need a dedicated webinar room because you can wheel it into any available meeting room.
- It’s a standing desk, so you can use the full range of your voice and do some power-posing instead of sitting hunched over.
- It has great lighting and a professional webcam ensuring you’ll look your best.
- It comes with a professional microphone, transmitting crisp audio to your listeners.
- Coupled with the green screen you can pick any cool background and look incredibly professional no matter how shabby your actual office may be.
Do you have #WebinarEnvy yet? I thought so. Here’s everything you need to put together your own webinar cart, regardless of your budget.
There’s nothing more distracting during a webinar than poor audio quality, so make sure you have a great microphone that allows your attendees to hear you clearly. There is a huge price range for microphones, but in general, the more expensive they are, the higher quality the sound. So depending on your budget and audio needs, you have a lot of options to choose from.
- My recommendation: Rode NT-USB USB Microphone; Cost: $169
- Comparable option: USB Microphone – Fifine Metal Condenser Recording Microphone; Cost: $29.99
Microphone Boom Arm
You want to make sure your microphone picks up everything you say during the webinar, but you don’t want to have to hold a microphone like a talk show host the whole time. And if you’re an animated speaker, lavalier mics will pick up distracting noise with every movement you make. It’s best to set up your microphone close enough to pick up all dialogue while keeping your hands free.
- My Recommendation: Rode PSA1 Studio Boom Arm for Broadcast Microphones; Cost: $99
- Comparable option: NEEWER Adjustable Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand; Cost: $12.50
Not only do earpieces make you feel like a member of the Secret Service, they’re also super helpful when hosting a webinar. An earpiece allows you to stay connected with other webinar contributors while keeping your hands free.
- My Recommendation: Otto Engineering V1-10437 – Single IFB Earphone Kit; Cost: $44.95
- Comparable option: MEE audio M6 Memory Wire In-Ear Wired Sports Earbud Headphones; Cost: $14.99
You never think about eartip replacements until it’s too late. Then you’re stuck using a worn-out eartip, or worse, none at all. And if you’re sharing an earpiece with other members of your team, you should at least have your own set of personal eartips to avoid sharing things you’d rather not share. Regardless, it’s a good idea to keep a stash of replacements on-hand and they’re inexpensive enough that it won’t hurt your budget.
- My Recommendation: Otto Engineering – Clear Eartip for Surveillance Kits Professional Models (10 pack); Cost: $9.79
- Comparable option: Replacement Eartip Earbuds (8 pack); Cost: $5.00
Lighting can change the look of your webinar from “ghoul broadcasting from under a bridge” to “model broadcasting from professional studio.” Of course, it all depends on what kind of feel you want for your webinar, but we always recommend great lighting help you look your best on camera.
- My recommendation: Brightline i-Series; Cost: Brightline offers custom pricing based on your unique needs and set-up, but expect to pay a few hundred at least.
- Comparable option: Stellar Diva Desktop Ringlight; Cost: $89.00
Using a green screen during your webinar lets you present in front of any background you can imagine. So if you don’t have a great office space, or you just want to add some pizzazz to your surroundings, you can with the help of a green screen.
- My recommendation: Chroma Wall Retractable Green Screen; Cost: $389.00
- Comparable option: Impact Collapsible Background; Cost: $57.95
Your green screen is worthless unless you have the software to project a background on to it.
- My recommendation: SparkoCam Virtual Webcam; Cost $39.95
- Comparable option: You can probably find free options, but I the SparkoCam is your best bet for the price.
You have your audio and lighting all squared away, now it’s time to find the right camera. Find a high-quality HD camera so your video will look great on all monitors. Both of our webcam suggestions are great for webinars, video conferencing, and other streaming needs.
- My Recommendation: Logitech BRIO; Cost: $179.38
- Comparable option: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920; Cost: $45.99
Optional Keyboard Stand
A keyboard stand isn’t a must-have item, but it’s a nice-to-have accessory in your webinar setup. My recommended ergonomic keyboard stand is great if you use a stand-up desk for webinars.
- My Recommendation: Uncaged Ergonomics WorkEZ Keyboard Tray & Mouse Pad; Cost: $54.99
- Comparable option: This recommendation is such a great price that it’s also the most affordable option.
I don’t know about you, but I think a lot better when I’m on my feet, so I stay on my A-game with a stand-up desk. Adjustable stand-up desks are great for your regular work days, but they’re especially convenient if you need to move to a more video-friendly location for your webinar broadcast.
- My Recommendation: VIVO Mobile Height Adjustable Stand Up Desk with Storage; Cost: $109.99
- Comparable option: Qwork Mobile Ergonomic Laptop Desk Cart; Cost: $49.90
Webinar equipment can start to get expensive if you’re not careful, but there are affordable options available so you can host a professional-quality webinar on a budget.
What are your must-have pieces of equipment in your webinar setup? Leave your recommendations in the comments below.